RE: RPM Question TR250 or TR6

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: RPM Question TR250 or TR6
From: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 17:24:00 -0700 c om>
> <Right now its about 3300 at 65...that seems pretty
> high to me...or could these be because the motor is so new it's not broken
> in
> yet?!?!? >
>
> Beg to differ with Andy.  My '71 TR6 no overdrive turns 3200 at
> 70mph.

Ok, I'll beg to differ with Peter.  3300 @ 65 is within 10% of 3200 @ 70.
We're presumably comparing a 30 year old tach to a 30 year old speedometer,
they are both affected by wear and both of dubious accuracy when new.  (I
looked up a test report on a new Vitesse the other day that reported a 5%
speedometer error at 70mph.)  And what are the chances that you both are
running the same size tires ?

John, if you're going to go the trouble and expense of having it calibrated,
you might as well have them take into account what size tires you plan to
use.  Modern tires tend to be shorter and wider than the originals.

It's also worth commenting that different axle ratios were available from
the factory, which may possibly have been substituted by a DPO (dumb
previous owner).  Likewise, if the transmission has ever been replaced, it
may have the wrong driven gear in it.  TR's all used the same driven gear
until sometime in mid-TR6 production, when it changed.  However, other
Triumphs used the same gearbox, but with different driven gears.

Another potential problem is the speedo head itself, these were supplied
with different calibration numbers to reflect different final drive ratios
and different tires (again until sometime mid-TR6 production).  IMO these
are all issues you should understand and verify before paying money to have
your speedo adjusted.

You can just have the speedo shop match the speedo to the car, but that will
cost somewhat extra.  And if you later decide to fix the problem (if any),
you'll have to have it done again ...

Randall
59 TR3A daily driver TS39781LO (sidelined for OD gearbox install)
63 Sports 6 rustoration project HB7826LCV
71 Stag daily driver Real Soon Now LE1473L