Re: RPM Question TR250 or TR6

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: RPM Question TR250 or TR6
From: ZoboHerald@aol.com
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 14:25:17 -0400
In a message dated Fri, 28 Jun 2002 12:40:44 PM Eastern Standard Time, Divits
writes:

> I have 2 quick questions. I recently had the motor on my TR250 rebuilt (about
> 300 miles ago). The first question is when going down the highway at 65mph
> what should my RPM be? Right now its about 3300 at 65...

...which is almost exactly as it should be. Most of the non-overdrive-equipped
TRs (TR2-6, anyway) were geared such that every 1000rpm equated to about 20mph.

> The second question is when cruising at 65mph at 3300 RPM I still have a lot
> of gas pedal to push down on...now if the red line warning is at 5000 RPM and
> the flat red line is at 5500 RPM how hard or high can you safely push these
> motors?  Like can I go for periods of time on the highway at 4000 or 4500 RPM
> and not worry that I'm straining the motor?

I don't see why not. 5000rpm would be roughly 100mph (see above). Probably a
higher speed than most of us would ever get to sustain, at least in most parts
of the US!

It seems like a lot, I know, especially compared to lazy American cars. For
example, my Explorer is geared low for towing, and 3000rpm still works out to
nearly 70mph. On the other hand, my "new" Herald 1200 would only be going (in
top gear) around 42mph at 3000rpm. At 65mph, it would be going...

omigod! :-)

--Andy Mace