Re: Nigeria Letter

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Nigeria Letter
From: Skip Montanaro <skip@pobox.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2002 01:28:30 -0500
    Todd> Raymond Hatfield wrote:

    >> Well, looks like I've finally been targeted - I received the infamous
    >> 'Nigeria Letter' in this morning's email.

    Todd> I don't have the URL, but ...

I seriously doubt there are only five people perpetrating this scam.  Just
the same, here are a couple pointers people might find useful:

    * You can report spam at SpamCop (spamcop.net)

    * If you or your ISP (where you grab your email) run some flavor of Unix
      or Linux, I highly recommend you (or your ISP) check out SpamAssassin
      (http://spamassassin.org/).  I receive an inordinate amount of spam
      because I am webmaster for a couple busy websites and multiple
      published contact addresses wind up pointing at my mailbox.  SA stops
      nearly all of it (often 200-300 messages per day).  If you're curious
      about how it works, contact me off-list.  It works differently than
      any other tool I've encountered.  Best of all, it's free...

Obligatory LBC content:

I discovered the hard way the other day that there are three styles of PDWA
shuttles.  I have a TR-250 with the early style shuttle in my PDWA that
takes cup-shaped seals.  See:

    http://www.buckeyetriumphs.org/technical/Brakes/MCPDWA/MC.htm

(down near the bottom).  I purchased the rebuild kit available from TRF.  It
comes with o-rings.  No good.  Someone on 6pack said they regularly just
swapped in shuttles from later model TR-6s, so I found a used one via email
from a shop in North Carolina, purportedly from a 72 or 73.  (The PDWA had
an extra brake line fitting in the large sealing bolt.  What was that for?)
Alas, it had a third style of shuttle.  It still took cup seals, but the
center section of the shuttle was unlike either pictured in the above URL.
The center section looks like

    ----\    /----
         \  /
          \/

          /\
         /  \
    ----/    \----

instead of

    -+          +-
     +---\  /---+
          \/

          /\
     +---/  \---+
    -+          +-

The seals looked okay, so I simply popped the shuttle into my old PDWA.
Unfortunately, it didn't occur to me to take a picture of it for the sake of
documentation.  If/when I have it apart again I'll try to remember to snap a
picture.

When Jake (my 12-year old) comes home from school tomorrow I'll con him into
pumping the brake pedal for me.  (He's already thinking the TR-250 will be
the first car he drives!)  We'll see how the seals hold up to actual
pressure.

--
Skip Montanaro
skip@pobox.com