RE: TR3a gas gauge

To: "Triumphs" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR3a gas gauge
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Jun 2002 19:17:40 -0700
> > You know, I've seen several different wiring configurations for the gas
> > gauge. The "Instruction Book" has just the green wire on the
> "B" terminal
> > and the "Haynes" and the red "Service Instruction Manual" both
> > show a solid
> > green running to the wiper switch? I have mine set up with the
> later? Any
> > thoughts on this.
>
> As Dave M. wrote, this is the early (TS12566 or earlier) wiring
> configuration, with the non-self-parking wiper motor.  Unfortunately, the
> diagram that shows this is often taken to be the diagram for all TR3/A/Bs.
> I wonder how many fuses have been sacrificed to that confusion !

It might be worth adding that on the earlier cars with the non-parking
wipers, the hot wire to the heater control was connected to the hot side of
the wiper switch (as mentioned in the factory manual).  Obviously this won't
work on the later cars, with the self-parking wipers.  I've never found a
factory reference to where the heater connection goes on later cars (with
the optional heater), but anecdotal evidence seems to suggest it was
connected to the hot side of the fuel gage.  Although in theory this wire
should've been green, it seems to've been black on most TR3s.

Randall