RE: TR3a gas gauge

To: "David Templeton" <davidt@opentext.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR3a gas gauge
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Jun 2002 20:53:27 -0700 o m>
David :

First, be certain the gage is grounded.  I don't know that any book mentions
this, but one of the cars I've disassembled had a very original looking
black ground wire, with a ring terminal under the thumb screw and a black
wire to the pinch connector on the panel.  A good idea, even if not
original.

Then be sure it's getting 12v on the proper terminal.  Looking at the back
of the gage, with the terminals at the top, power should be on the right
most terminal.

Next, disconnect the sense line and apply power (and ground).  If the gage
doesn't read full, it's either broken or the wrong one for your car.  (Note
that early TR4 gages look identical from the front, but are very different
electrically.)

If the gage does read full with the sense line disconnected, then likely the
wire from the gage to the tank sender is shorted to ground.

Randall