RE: TR3a engine popping at idle and cold starts

To: "Triumphs@Autox Net (E-mail)" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR3a engine popping at idle and cold starts
From: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Date: Fri, 7 Jun 2002 15:38:24 -0700
> When she is running at idle there is a "pop" that comes
> out of the tailpipe.  It is almost like she is missing.

One possible explanation for this is a worn distributor shaft/bushing.  Hook
up a timing light and look at how much the timing mark wanders around.

> Could the
> float bowls be emptying and I have to crank to refill them with
> gas?  There
> are no external leaks.

Sure doesn't take much of a leak to empty the bowls overnight.  Mine is
currently doing exactly the same thing, but the rear jet is damp with gas
when the bowls are full.  Not dripping, just damp.  As already suggested,
try filling the bowls with the priming lever.  If it then starts easy, you
know where the problem is.

Randall