TR3a engine popping at idle and cold starts

To: "Triumphs@Autox Net \(E-mail\)" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR3a engine popping at idle and cold starts
From: "David A. Templeton" <davidt@opentext.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Jun 2002 14:04:56 -0400
Hi all,

Now the safety stuff is done it is time to move on to the getting the '3 in
"tip top" shape.  When she is running at idle there is a "pop" that comes
out of the tailpipe.  It is almost like she is missing.  She has the
following new:

- cap & rotor
- wires
- condenser & points
- coil

Ideas to start looking? Thanks

The next one is she is also difficult to start from cold ( 8+ hours between
starts ).  She is taking a lot of choke and a lot of cranking to get here
going.  Once started, I can shut the engine off and start her on a 1/4 sec
crank of the starter.  Even 4 hours later she starts that good.  Could the
float bowls be emptying and I have to crank to refill them with gas?  There
are no external leaks.
Ideas for this one?

Thanks as always

David A. Templeton
'59 TR3a - 9TS54226L ( "9" denotes the CDN import on year of mfr )