Re: TR3a engine popping at idle and cold starts

To: "Triumphs@Autox Net \(E-mail\)" <triumphs@autox.team.net>, "David A. Templeton" <davidt@opentext.com>
Subject: Re: TR3a engine popping at idle and cold starts
From: "levilevi" <levilevi@attbi.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Jun 2002 14:34:10 -0600
> The next one is she is also difficult to start from cold ( 8+ hours
between starts ).  She is taking a lot of choke and a lot of cranking to get
here> going.

When I start my 6 cold I always crank it until the oil pressure comes up and
then pull the choke.   This usually takes 10-20 seconds depending upon the
ambient temperature.  I do it because I read somewhere that the majority (I
think it was 60-80%) of wear on an engine happens when it first starts and
doesn't have oil on metal to metal surfaces.  Now I might have to buy a new
starter sooner than otherwise but that's easier and cheaper than a rebuild.

So your engine might just be trying to tell you something.   Or your choke
might not be adjusted correctly.

Bud Rolofson
71TR6 CC57365 (Good 6)
66TR4A CTC57806 (The Wreck-Almost Parts)
66TR4A CTC57529 (The Project)