overheating- skirted thermostat?

To: "Scott Bloomer" <flaedersaft@cfaith.com>
Subject: overheating- skirted thermostat?
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 31 May 2002 10:06:29 -0400
Cc: "[unknown]" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Message text written by "Scott Bloomer"
>My TR4A is running well but loses about a quart to a half-gallon of
coolant
through the pressure cap when I have run it for 20 minutes. I read TW's
website remarks about skirted thermostats solving this problem in a TR3
motor-
anyone have any ideas if it's suitable for a TR4A? I have a new radiator
core
and new Moss summer thermostat in it.

BTW, the temp guage runs cool, never show hot even when I am blowing
coolant.
I figure this may be related to the gas guage which reads less than half
even
when full, because they are on the same circuit.
<

My guess would be a leaking head gasket.  About the only two things that
can cause that much coolant loss is a head gasket and overheating and if
your gauge is not lying to you it isn't overheating.  Try retorquing the
head.  With any luck it may slow it down.  If it does it's a pretty good
bet it is the gasket.

I guess it could be a crack in the head but let's not think about that.

Sorry

Dave