Re: One black plug

To: <pdonnel1@san.rr.com>
Subject: Re: One black plug
From: "John Macartney" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 30 May 2002 18:43:13 +0100
Cc: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Standard Triumph continued to use Lodge plug numbers in publications
for some time after they were fitting Champions in production. Up to
1972, ISTR the Champion was an N9  across the range - now N9Y? These
were fine on carburettered cars but fouled up continuously in traffic
on PI cars. They still do - as did state-of-the-art Bosch on injected
BMW's and Triumphs. This was when the cars were new, so with the
greatest respect to Randall, I wouldn't necessarily agree plug fouling
was engine condition or state of tune relevant.
Going back many years with early fuel injection, NGK were the only
plugs that seemed to retain their performance for longer than
usual and seemed far more resistant to fouling in any condition. Don't
know why - but BMW and Triumph franchised dealers always fitted NGK's
when customers complained of misfiring and that solved the problem in
the vast majority of cases.
I still use NGK BP6ES in my little collection - and the Fergie seems
quite happy with them too. The plug copes easily with petrol via
carburetter and injection and seems equally at ease igniting central
heating oil with a 2% dilution of unleaded for serious tractor work
<smile>

Jonmac

1950 Ferguson TED20 152318
1970 Triumph 2.5PI MG4305DL(O)