RE: One Black Plug

To: "john donnelly" <pdonnel1@san.rr.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: One Black Plug
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Tue, 28 May 2002 10:20:10 -0700
> Are the Bosch Platinum's better? How? And, what is the Bosch PN?

John, IMO plug fouling has more to do with engine condition and state of
tune (also fuel being burnt) than it does with plug construction. (Assuming
of course that the plugs are the proper heat range for you engine, it's
state of tune, and how you drive it.)  However, the platinum plugs seem to
be a little more forgiving as to heat range, and they also seem to last
longer.

I use Bosch WR7BP in my TR3A, mostly because Ken Gillanders at BFE once
wrote that he measured a power increase on the dyno, just by switching to
the WR7BP.  I can't vouch for that, I've never noticed the difference, but
they do stand up much better to the MSD 6A ignition I used to run (and will
again).

A set of 4 WR7BP is listed as Bosch P/N 4232, this number seems to be a bit
easier to find in the stores.  But, don't expect Kragen or Pep Boys to have
them.  Clark's Discount Auto in Bellflower has them on the shelf more often
than not, but they do seem to be a slow moving item.  Judging by the dust on
the last set I bought, I may be their only customer for these !

Randall Young
59 TR3A TS39781LO daily driver (currently sidelined for OD transplant)
63 Sports 6 HB7826LCV rustoration project
71 Stag LE1473L daily driver (Real Soon Now)