TR6 binding camshaft

To: Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR6 binding camshaft
From: Rob Christopher <robc@cisco.com>
Date: Fri, 24 May 2002 09:33:06 -0400
Hey everyone,

I'm depressed.  My engine rebuild was coming along slowly until last
night.  Now it's come to a complete halt.  I put the camshaft in, put
the keeper plate in place and bolted it down.  The camshaft is 100%
immobile!  I loosened the keeper bolts and the camshaft spins fine.  I
torque the bolts in and it is seized.

I tried flipping the keeper and it is still stuck.  I ground the paint
off the front plate and put the keeper back on and it is still stuck.

My feeling the keeper is being skewed as I torque it, but I can't get a
feeler gauge under it anywhere.  I'm stumped.  Can I just use red
locktite and bolt the keeper with 5ft-lb of torque?  I'm very
uncomfortable with this thought.

Any guesses as to what I've done?  The camshaft is new (to me).  It's a
Piper270 from BPNW.  The keeper and front plate are the originals from
my car.  I don't have the original camshaft, I had to send it to BPNW
for the $120USD core charge!

Rob in Ottawa
74.5 TR6  CF28217UO  (rebuilding my engine to be seized from day 1???)