Re: [Re: Plastic gearbox cover]

To: <rmf3860@erols.com>
Subject: Re: [Re: Plastic gearbox cover]
From: Hugh Fader <hfader@usa.net>
Date: Fri, 24 May 2002 08:18:02 -0400
Cc: <triumphs@autox.team.net> teamfat2.dsl.aros.net id g4OCI8u11344
Hi Bob.

It just took a lot of muscling the thing around to get the holes to line up
and the fasteners to fasten.

I RTV'ed the rubber gaskets to the tunnel. After the RTV set, I punched holes
for the fasteners through the gaskets with a drill. So far so good.

Then I removed the brake lever so that the tunnel cover could be replaced. I
noticed that the old cardboard cover had a slot cut in it so that it could
slide past the lever without removing it. This should have been a clue.

Now put the gearbox in place and try to get the holes to line up with the
holes in the body. That was tough. The plastic cover is much stiffer than the
original.

Here are a few suggestions that might make it easier for you.

1. Get a helper to bear down on the cover in strategic locations to help line
up the fasteners. I didn't have one, but wished I did.
2. Use a punch or small screwdriver to line up one hole while putting the
fastener in another one nearby. I learned this when I worked in a refrigerator
repair shop removing and replacing sheet metal covers.
3. Get a few bolts that are longer than the ones in the kit. They will
probably be easier to install. Put them in place, install the other bolts,
then remove and replace with the shorter ones. Actually, this helped the
most.
4. When I bought the cover, the guy at BPNW suggested not buying the fastener
kit and using only a few of the old fasteners. He said the new cover is so
much stiffer than the old one, that less fasteners are needed. I did buy a new
fastener kit, but I also left of a few of bolts and it still seems pretty
solid.
5. Re-assembling the brake lever was a major pain. I'm glad the Bentley book
has a good illustration of the assembly. Unfortunately the instructions only
say replace the lever and hook up the cables. It took a lot of monkeying
around to get it right. I'm not sure I could give instructions on how to do it
again.

Total time was about 4 hours. Bet I could now do it in 3.5. :-)

Hope this helps.

- Hugh

Bob Fabie <rmf3860@erols.com> wrote:
Hugh:
I also bought a plastic trans. cover and the installation kit. What am I
up against when it's time to put in in?

Glad to hear the car is running well.

Bob Fabie