TR6 noise

To: "Jim Davis" <jdavis344@directvinternet.com>
Subject: TR6 noise
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 24 May 2002 09:22:15 -0400
Cc: "Triumph list" <triumphs@autox.team.net>, "[unknown]" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Message text written by "Jim Davis"
>One of my TR6s has a whining noise that I believe is coming from the
rear end. It has the same pitch as a semi tire whine. It is more
noticeable above 60 mph and seems to increase with speed. It is louder
on acceleration and goes away when just letting off the gas, as in going
down hill on the interstate but not really decelerating, just keeping a
steady speed. Is this a differential noise? From the cockpit I can't
tell where it is coming from. I've had cars with a differential whine
and it is similar. I've never had a TR6 diff. go, so I don't know what a
bad one sounds like.
Any ideas?
<

Yup, sounds just like the bad diff I had in my MG years ago.  You can try
rotating the tires as a diagnostic tool but I think you will find there is
no change (tires tend to whine the same reguardless of whether under load,
coasting or decell).

The next step is to beg, borrow, of steal a diff and swap it out.  It's not
so bad a job.  Figure on about two hours for a first time.

Good luck

Dave