TR6 noise

To: "Triumph list" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR6 noise
From: "Jim Davis" <jdavis344@directvinternet.com>
Date: Thu, 23 May 2002 18:53:34 -0400
Cc: <6pack@autox.team.net>
One of my TR6s has a whining noise that I believe is coming from the
rear end. It has the same pitch as a semi tire whine. It is more
noticeable above 60 mph and seems to increase with speed. It is louder
on acceleration and goes away when just letting off the gas, as in going
down hill on the interstate but not really decelerating, just keeping a
steady speed. Is this a differential noise? From the cockpit I can't
tell where it is coming from. I've had cars with a differential whine
and it is similar. I've never had a TR6 diff. go, so I don't know what a
bad one sounds like.
Any ideas?

Jim Davis
Fortson, GA