Re: TR6 noise

To: "Jim Davis" <jdavis344@directvinternet.com>, "Triumph list" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR6 noise
From: "Steve Sewell" <tr4a1@prodigy.net>
Date: Thu, 23 May 2002 18:35:23 -0000
Cc: <6pack@autox.team.net>
From: "Jim Davis" <jdavis344@directvinternet.com>
To: "Triumph list" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Cc: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Sent: Thursday, May 23, 2002 10:53 PM
Subject: TR6 noise

> One of my TR6s has a whining noise that I believe is coming from the
> rear end. It has the same pitch as a semi tire whine. It is more
> noticeable above 60 mph and seems to increase with speed. It is louder
> on acceleration and goes away when just letting off the gas, as in going
> down hill on the interstate but not really decelerating, just keeping a
> steady speed. Is this a differential noise? From the cockpit I can't
> tell where it is coming from. I've had cars with a differential whine
> and it is similar. I've never had a TR6 diff. go, so I don't know what a
> bad one sounds like.
> Any ideas?
>
> Jim Davis
> Fortson, GA
> CF38690UO
> CF37325U

Jim

Having just gone through this with my 4A, the noise will get louder and than
become more than just a whine. The bearings are worn. Give Layton or Greg at
BPNW a call. About $750 plus $20 for shipping. I tried to have a local shop
rebuild mine and it was going to cost a lot more.

Steve Sewell
65 4A CTC62925