Remember the screamin' tach (TR3A)

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Remember the screamin' tach (TR3A)
From: Popnglo@aol.com
Date: Wed, 22 May 2002 22:39:36 EDT
A few months ago I wrote the list about the screamin' tach that I was
experiencing. I followed the list advice, and graphite lubed the ends, and
greased the cable. Well ... all was fine until a week or so ago, and then it
happened again, and it wasn't cold and freezing like the last time.

Well, to make a long story short, I decided to replace the tach cable. Not
once but twice. Both times the cable snapped at the distributor end. Twisted
itself to failure. I had thought I had learned a lesson the first time, so I
ran the car with the tach cable not connected to the tach, it spun fine ...
thought I was good to go. But, not so. When I connected to the tach cable to
the tach and started the engine, it twisted itself into failure once again.
It only takes a second.

I assume this means the tach is jammed up somehow. Any trouble shooting
knowledge out there? Any way to free it up? Or is the tach itself shot?

TIA
Best Regards,
Ed (58 TR3A) - runnin' blind on the RPM's, but otherwise OK, everyday.
P.S. I now have two gray cable sheaths that are like new condition (and a
rather old one) if anybody wants one.