Re: show judging

To: Jim Hill <jrhill@chorus.net>
Subject: Re: show judging
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Thu, 09 May 2002 17:57:47 -0700
Cc: Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Jim Hill wrote:

> So, are we saying that People's Choice judging is more "objective" than
> Concours judging? I sure hope not - I reserve the right to be totally
> subjective when filling out my ballot. (And if you want my vote, I can tell
> you that I'm a sucker for a wood steering wheel, driving lights, non-stock
> carburetion, wire wheels and the smiling face of a happy owner.)

But Jim, when it is over, don't you end up voting for the car in each class
that you would like to drive home over all the others posed against it?
Everyone has their own criteria, be it driving lamps, wood steering wheels, or
the stuffed bear in the driver's seat.  ANd not to be forgotten is the
already mentioned, "He's a friend, so I'll vote for his car" scenario.

> And if the VTR Concours judges are "not familiar enough with the cars to
> really determine what is correct", then who is? And what's your proposal for
> getting the "familiar" judges on the job?

Have you ever been to a judging seminar held just prior to the judging.  If you
have, then you know of what I speak.  They certainly try, but I am
afraid that few of the judges end up qualified to know what is authentic and
what is not.  Still, many of the "restored" cars entered in concours
judging are so far past the state the car was when it came from the factory to
make judging laughable.  That is why I prefer that TR7 I saw in
Portland, OR.  It WAS as it came from the factory.

> Let me hasten to add that I speak from my usual position of ignorance -
> haven't entered my 6 in a car show and don't intend to, although if there's
> an "exhibition" class for race cars, I'm happy to bring mine along just for
> fun.

And that is certainly part of the fun, but so many people refuse to enter their
cars out of a feeling their cars are inadequate or a poor example.  To
me that defeats the whole purpose of any sort of car gathering.  I say, if it
got there, it certainly deserves to be seen.

> But I always thought that the object of having these contests and awards was
> to encourage folks to display their cars. Not just so the entrants can get a
> trophy, but for the benefit of those who want to see the cars, appreciate
> them and (hopefully) learn from them. Based on the large number of cars that
> turn out for the VTR meets, it seems to work.

I agree.

> Anyone with a better system is invited to propose it (and volunteer to help
> get it done).

Since the dual purpose show (Concours and People's Choice) has something for
both crowds, I don't see how it could be any better!

Joe