Re: show judging

To: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Subject: Re: show judging
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Thu, 09 May 2002 10:46:31 -0700
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Randall Young wrote:

> Fred, "best" is a subjective measure, and I think the VTR "Best of Show"
> award reflects that.  There were lots of beautiful cars at the show (yours
> was one of them), but I personally thought it entirely appropriate that best
> of show go to the Gloria.  Can't really define why I feel that way, just
> like quality "I know it when I see it".  In addition to being a rare and
> attractive car, it was also 'honest'.  Those really were the parts that made
> up that car when it was new, not a collection of oh-so-correct
> reproductions.  Years ago, that was called 'originality', meaning it had
> never been 'restored'.
>
> I'm not even certain it was the rarest car there, wasn't there a 2500 PI
> saloon that is supposed to be the only one in the US ?  Brad's Amphicar was
> also the first one I've ever seen "in the flesh".

I think that in "People's Choice" judging, the term "Best" means "favorite" or
"the one I would like to drive home".  In concours judging, it is at
best subjective and unfortunately the people who get to determine which car
gets the prize are the concours judges, many of which are not familiar
enough with the cars to really determine what is correct and what is not.  That
is one of the reasons I don't like concours judging.  After all, these
cars were made to be driven not prettied up to a state far better than they
ever came out of the factory.

There was a TR7 at the Portland VTR that was indeed a good example of what came
out of the factory.  In fact, it was all original and had very few
miles on it.  I don't know where it was stored all these years, but I wish I
had found it first.  To me that is what a concourse winner should be.

My 2 pfennig worth!
Joe