Re: Car shows- slight rant - long response about VTR

To: mporter@zianet.com
Subject: Re: Car shows- slight rant - long response about VTR
From: McGaheyRx@aol.com
Date: Thu, 9 May 2002 13:57:25 EDT
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
mporter@zianet.com writes:

> We worked to include recognition of the ordinary drivers, the people who
> _drove_ the cars, rather than just hid them away from show to show, to
> no avail. The awards ceremony for the 2001 VTR was to include the
> inaugural "Charles Macartney Daily Driver Award," and yet, it didn't
> happen. The trailer queens won.

Michael -
exactly what do you mean by the "trailer queens won" and why wasn't that
award presented ? I remember hearing about that award on this list prior
to last year's VTR convention, i was disappointed not to see it given,
and i've wondered ever since why it wasn't.  I wish every show had a
"Daily Driver" or "Most Driven" award for daily drivers AND a "Diamond
In The Rough" award for cars under restoration.

However, your post would give one who has never been to a VTR Natl
Convention the impression that the event is dominated by an elite
group of "Trailer Queen" owners who win all the awards every year.
This is not the case. I could name 3 concours award winners who drove
their cars more than half way across the country to Breckenridge last
summer - there were probably more. Repeat concours winners are not
allowed. Previous class winners must enter the "Senior" or "Preservation"
class. No car is allowed to enter the concours unless it has also participated
in a driving event.
Furthermore, the people I've meet at VTR Natls have always been a diverse
group. The majority of cars there are "drivers" and the majority of awards
given are for driving events. You can also meet serious autocrossers who
trailer
their unstreetable cars in and will be glad to tell you where to have you
valve springs cryogenically treated to increase their spring rate. Yes, you
will run
into people who keep their show cars in a climate controlled trailer, but if
talk to them I'll bet you'll find every single one of them has at least one
other
Triumph that they drive much more frequently and probably looks worse than
yours - and I've yet to meet anyone who looks down their nose or acts "snotty"
toward anybody.

Again, I support any effort to institute a daily driver award, I just don't
want
any one to get the wrong impression about what a VTR National is all about.

We came for the cars, we come back for the people and look forward to
seeing many of you at Red Wing - less that 3 months away !

Cheers
Jack Mc