re: TR 4 cylinder intake/exhaust manifolds

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: re: TR 4 cylinder intake/exhaust manifolds
From: CarlSereda@aol.com
Date: Thu, 9 May 2002 00:48:13 EDT
Darrell
The connection provides heat transfer to the manifold tube dividers in the
intakes. When your gas/air mixture hits the 'hot V' it atomizes the mixture
minimizing liquid drops of fuel and improves combustion. Notice older cars
use this exhaust connection too and newer cars get their heat from the
thermostatic controlled coolant - that's piped through the manifolding.
Without it you might experience innefficient combustion and 'icing' (ice
buildup) on manifolds due to rush of cool air going through system. I believe
physical support was a secondary benefit.

Carl  - '63 TR4

The intake and exhaust manifolds (I think on all 4 cylinder TRs, but
certainly on the 4A) are attached to each other with two studs.  I'm not
sure what function that is supposed to provide, other than to possibly help
support the intake manifold.  But it also seems that it would provide quite
a good heat transfer, something that seems less that ideal.  Given that none
of the headers offered appear to provide this support, and that I haven't
heard of any rash of intake manifolds falling off, I'm considering removing
the bracketry where these two attach.  Any reason I shouldn't do that?
Darrell Walker
66 TR4A IRS