Re: TR4 gas smell

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR4 gas smell
From: "Kurtis" <kurtisj@cox-internet.com>
Date: Tue, 7 May 2002 22:58:45 -0500
Phil,

After parking my car in my basement garage for a couple of days (under the
main living area of my house) shortly after buying it, my house reeked of
gasoline.  My problem was a bad washer/gasket on the float chamber mounting
of one of my carburetors.  There was barely any gas at all visible... it
just looked a little wet around the mounting point.

After correcting my problem, I can't smell the car at all.

I'm sure there are numerous potential causes for a gasoline smell, but I
guess my point is (based on my limited experience anyway) that it does not
take very much gas to cause an odor problem.

On the other hand... the pools (okay, small puddles) of engine oil and gear
oil under the car don't really seem to smell at all. <grin>

Kurtis J.
1963 TR4
www.geocities.com/tr4_1963

> I am beginning to think of the time-honored mechanic response to such
> questions:
>
> "They do that."
>
> If you can tell me how to make it go away, I'd be thrilled.  I don't care,
> myself, but my wife HATES the smell of gasoline and is far more sensitive
> it than I.
>
> I had one obvious problem with the gasket on the gas-gauge sender.  With
an
> offset screwdriver, I had little problem putting in the rubber seal that
> Vicky Brit sells.  Takes patience.  Don't drop a screw into the tank...
>
> Phil Ethier  West Side   Saint Paul  Minnesota  USA
> 1970 Lotus Europa, 1992 Saturn SL2, 1986 Suburban, 1962 Triumph TR4
CT2846L