Re: Ebay 1969 TR6

To: Jerry Oliver <slantws@attbi.com>
Subject: Re: Ebay 1969 TR6
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Mon, 06 May 2002 12:12:45 -0700
Cc: triumphs list <triumphs@autox.team.net>, John Macartney <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Jerry Oliver wrote:

> Hi everybody;
> Here, here to John Mac. One brief addition to the Commission plate dating
> discussion; The early USA TR6 (1969 & 1970?) commission plate had a Fed
> compliance statement, and a blank for a date, presumably indicating the date
> of compliance of that model?  Or was the stamped date the same as the actual
> build date? I had understood it to be the last date of compliance review??
> Piggott states its the month and year of manufacture (page 118). Any TR6
> experts out there?

I re-examined the three plates I mentioned in my earlier message and the two
Spitfire 1500 Plates both clearly state "MANUFACTURED DATE" next to the
stamped-on date.  The GT6+ plate on the other hand has the statement, "THIS
VEHICLE COMPLIES WITH ALL U.S. FEDERAL SAFETY STANDARDS. APPLICABLE ON".

I can't say say what the TR6 in question has, but it seems that the differences
are a matter of the time frame in which the vehicle was built.  In the
case of the plates I have, the GT6+ was built in the 69-70 time frame and the
Spit ones were done in 73-75.  I can't say for sure, but highly suspect
that all Triumphs of a common era has the same sort of information on their
individual plates.  So, based on that theory, if the TR6 in question was
built in the 69-70 range, I expect that date is a compliance date rather than a
manufactured date.  But if it was made later, the reverse may be true.

Joe