Re: Ebay 1969 TR6

To: "triumphs list" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Ebay 1969 TR6
From: "Jerry Oliver" <slantws@attbi.com>
Date: Mon, 6 May 2002 12:05:48 -0700
Cc: "John Macartney" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Hi everybody;
Here, here to John Mac. One brief addition to the Commission plate dating
discussion; The early USA TR6 (1969 & 1970?) commission plate had a Fed
compliance statement, and a blank for a date, presumably indicating the date
of compliance of that model?  Or was the stamped date the same as the actual
build date? I had understood it to be the last date of compliance review??
Piggott states its the month and year of manufacture (page 118). Any TR6
experts out there?
Also, as Jon's reply again points out, "VIN" and Commission Plates are not
the same thing. I'm not trying show anyone up, as this seems to be an oft
repeated misconception. Automotive history has had a number of methods to
identify vehicles. The latest being the VIN tag. Some of these methods had
an additional purpose to prevent theft, fraud, etc., but most times they
were a great big part number. This is the case for most TRs. Yes, some US
states use the Commission plate number, but others did not. My TR4A had a
California title with the STC tag as the VIN code. Legalities, use and
purpose of identification tags depend on the specific vehicle and its year
of manufacturer. US states have various methods to deal with this variety.
Ask my friend who had the State of Washington add a great big ugly ID plate
to his beautiful 1909 Mitchell Landaulet by drilling holes in the firewall
and pop riveting an ID plate. Now there's a real YIKES!.
But back to the Ebay TR6. I can't tell from the photos if the seats fold at
the rest or not. The dealer/seller says no. My memory of them when I looked
at the new ones on the show room floor in Southern California in late 1968
was that they did. Piggott supports my memory. As far as the date on the
Commission Plate, I'd be bidding hard if this car was built during TR250
production (April 1968), some 5 months before the first carb TR6 was
actually built.
Jerry Oliver
Olympia, WA. USA
'66 TR4A