Time for a new exhaust system

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Time for a new exhaust system
From: Divits@aol.com
Date: Mon, 6 May 2002 14:54:22 EDT
Yesterday I I took out my TR 250 spent the day driving. I put on just over
250 miles, most of which were highway miles and the car ran superbly I am
happy to report. However as I was closing in on home the exhaust started to
sound a little sick, some rattling and just week sounding exhaust (this is
the original exhaust system to the car). So I guess I will need to start
shopping for a new system.

Could anyone tell me which is the best exhaust for the money to go with
(performance, looks and sound mean a lot).

I also started hearing a noise from under the bonnet, it sounded like a belt
was about to go. As I investigated it I found that a bolt for securing the
alternator to the mounting bracket had worked it's way loose and was sticking
out about 2 inches and was rubbing the fan belt! If I didn't take the time to
investigate this that belt would have snapped and/or that bolt would have
come out completely and gone right into the fan, could you imagine what
damage could have been done then...it could have shot through the radiator or
who nose what else? You all might want to check these types of bolts every
time you change your oil or do a tune up...because I know I will be!

Well, anyway if you kind listers give me some guidance on exhaust systems I
would be very grateful.

Thanks again,
John McGreal
1968 TR 250