Re: Mutual admiration

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Mutual admiration
From: Michael Hargreave Mawson <OC@46thFoot.com>
Date: Sat, 4 May 2002 08:27:31 +0100
In article <000401c1f335$32ff6860$3bed07c3@jonmac>, John Macartney
<jonmac@ndirect.co.uk> writes
>Mike Mawson wrote:
>I was parked at the pump with my new Herald 1200
>(top down) when a mint-condition LHD Austin-Healey 3000 drove up to
>the
>pump next to me.   Just as I was about to go over to gawp at his car,
>the A-H driver leapt out, headed straight for my Herald, and said,
>"Now,
>THAT'S a nice car!"
>
>I think I have an inkling why he said that, Michael. I was lucky
>enough to spend a day about two weeks ago, posing in an immaculate
>1966 3000. Thoroughly enjoyed it and did just over 100 miles of
>country lanes and some hard treading with the right foot as the
>opportunity presented itself. I'd started out with a brimmed tank but
>the car lacked an overdrive and 60mph at 4300rpm, three SU's sucking
>away and it wasn't long before the needle started dropping
>alarmingly..  Fortunately, on the day in question "I was on expenses"
>and the Healey needed refuelling before I got back to base. One second
>mortgage later ....

<g>

>I think he realised that distance for distance, when his gauge showed
>empty, yours was probably showing 3/4 full. But a Herald convertible
>with the top down IS a nice car and Healey people are all thoroughly
>nice people. With UK fuel prices nudging US$6 a gallon, they can
>afford to be <g>

Have you managed to find cheap 4-Star, or expensive LRP?   For LRP I'm
paying around 77p a litre.   Multiply by 4.55 and by 1.45, and that is
"only" USD5.08 per gallon.   Leaded 4-Star, on the other hand, is 99.9p
a litre - USD6.59 per gallon.

Personally, I reckon that petrol prices should be fixed for the life of
the car at the prevailing rate on the day it was first registered. That
would be about 53p a gallon for the Spit, and, what, four-and-six for
the Herald?

ATB
--
Mike
1963 White Herald 1200 Convertible GA125624 CV