Spitfire 1500 Seats-part 2

To: british-cars@autox.team.net, spitfires@autox.team.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Spitfire 1500 Seats-part 2
From: StuCohen@aol.com
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2001 00:10:29 EDT
Hi,

Thanks for the advice on the dyes that are available.  I didn't know that
there was something I could use for DIY.

As for the possibility that the interior has faded...I did consider that.
But a couple factors made me discount the likelihood that that's the color
matching problem;

1) The undersides of the seats, the rear cockpit panel, and the underside of
the convertible top boot that tucks around the top (all areas that aren't
exposed to the sun, so theoretically less prone to fading) are that same
beige as the exposed areas.  The car's got only 19,000 miles and it's been
garage kept the whole time, so I have a feeling fading's been fairly minimum.

2) I did replace the door panels 3 years ago, and the color of that vinyl was
a perfect (and I mean ABSOLUTE) match to the existing vinyl in the car at
that time.  So I know that the right color was available at some time...just
not right now.

I will give TRF a try, but last time I checked they didn't have the
houndstooth pattern available.  Have they added it to their line recently?
Otherwise, I'll keep the names of those dyes handy, and if anyone knows of
another source for seats, let me know.

Thanks again,
Stuart

Hey Fred Thomas,

I take it you're a fellow Washingtonian...from the fact that you've got an
Erols e-mail address.  Thanks for the info on Rimmer Bros.  I never heard of
them before.  FYI, Motorhead has a pretty good catalog of new and used parts
and accessories.  They've done a particularly good job of finding "no longer
available" used parts for me, such as the dreaded emission control parts that
will cause OUR cars to fail inspection if we don't have them.  And they've
done a good job of servicing my Spitfire.  Did you have a bad experience with
them?