Re: Jackstands & safety -- Sort Of

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Jackstands & safety -- Sort Of
From: Bristol7@aol.com
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2001 23:25:23 EDT
 This thread brought a flood of memories because
 I have a set of the 3 leg tube type stands, and they
 have been loyal, steady servants to the cause for
 many years.

 I last used them this past Spring when a mysterious,
 small puddle formed at the front the Wedge. I was
 going to take the family dog to task for doing it in the
 garage again, however upon closer examination the
 suspect piddle turned out to be a puddle of coolant.
 The outlet at the bottom of the rad had cracked, and
 this was the cause of our leak.

 Pulling the rad on non-A/C 8 is a snap. Raise the
 front end; disconnect the bottom return hose; drain
 the rad; disconnect the other hoses; remove the four
 bolts holding the rad support bracket and out she
 comes. Easy.

 Well, the Idiot doing the job managed to disconnect
 the bottom without getting the appropriate container
 underneath the rad. Of course he and our garage
 floor got completely soaked with coolant. After
 mopping up and a US$12.00 trip to the rad
 repair shop, our hero returned and successfully
 installed the rad using the reverse order of the
 removal procedure above.

 The last thing for our highly skilled mechanic
 to do was raise the car a bit, remove the jack
 stands, drop the car, fill up the rad and drive
 off into the sunset....Another job, not particularly
 done well. This he proceeded to do, however there
 was a small problem. The driver's side front wheel
 was slightly off the ground. A quick survey by the
 Idiot mechanic proved he was missing a jack stand.
 A further survey of the surroundings indicated the cause
 of the front wheel's ability to defy gravity had been
 induced by the failure of the Idiot to completely
 remove the jack stand.......which had now made a
 rather stunning dent in the rocker panel.

 Of course the local body shop got a kick out it
 ("for $200.00 we'll repair it and not say anything about
 it to your friends"). Nothing like having a gaggle of folks
 standing around one's car having a good chuckle at one's
 misfortune.  Sometimes jack stands work too well.....
 NO ARCHIVE

 Name Withheld to Protect the Idiot
 81 TR8 Fi
 Seattle
 P.S.  That dent has recently gotten less noticeable.

In a message dated 7/31/01 6:58:46 PM Pacific Daylight Time,