re: Jackstands & safety

To: jholekamp@attglobal.net, "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: re: Jackstands & safety
From: HAMILTON DOUG <douglasehamilton@home.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2001 20:00:14 -0600
I've been using a set of the 3 leg split tube style stands for over 25
years with no problems what so ever, mine do how ever have wide braces
between the legs a 1/4" from the bottom and are rated for 3 tons. I have
bought an expensive set of 4 leg stands with the forged racheting
supports and find these much less forgiving as far what part of the
frame sits on them( the saddle doesn't craddle the frame or axel as
deeply ) and how even the floor surface is. There is a good reason
milking stools have only three legs they are able to sit on an uneven
surface where as four legs tend to rock on an uneven surface. Just my
$0.02 look closely at your car as to where the jack stands will go and
pick a design the best suits your use. One last point the three leg
stands did seem a little scary with a 55 Buick Roadmaster on them but it
was close to a 6000lb car.

Doug Hamilton
1960 TR3A