Re: Jackstands & safety

To: jholekamp@attglobal.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Jackstands & safety
From: ZinkZ10C@aol.com
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2001 12:23:12 EDT
In a message dated 7/31/01 12:07:29 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
jholekamp@attglobal.net writes:

<< Has anyone experienced failure with this type of jackstand? I've used 4
 of the split tube type stands for 30 yrs or so w/ no difficulty >>

While the stands are sufficient in compression, they can't take much of a
lateral load before bending.  This lateral loading occurs when the other end
of the car is being jacked up or when turning bolts.  Adding a steel plate to
the bottom would keep the legs from buckling ( BTDT ) , but by the time you
do all that work a quicker solution is to purchase 4 leg stands. ( plus I'm
too lazy to deal with the adjusting pin ;+)    )

The cut tube stands have no hope of working on asphalt or hard dirt, the
sharp edges of the legs sink right in.  Adding a steel plate helps but takes
time.  The 4 leg stands have flat bottoms allowing use on asphalt and placing
a plywood square on the ground allows them to be used on hard dirt.

Harold