Spitfire 1500 Seats

To: <british-cars@autox.team.net>, <spitfires@autox.team.net>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Spitfire 1500 Seats
From: StuCohen@aol.com
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2001 18:25:57 EDT
Hi,

I have decided to confront a major issue that all Spitfire owners must at face
some point...restoration of my seats.  I opted to go with the beige houndstooth
pattern to keep with originality, and ordered the whole megilla, seat foams and
all, from Victoria British.  However, the color of the vinyl in their kit was
significantly different enough from the original that if I replaced the seats,
they would be a distinctly different color from the rest of the interior.  I've
tried all the usual suspects (Spit Bits, Motorhead, etc.) for color samples of
their seat kits and they've all come back with the same color.  Apparently they
all get their seat covers from the same manufacturer in Britain, and they tell
me that's the only manufacturer of houndstooth covers in the world.  The color
I've been getting is more of a "darker tan-brownish" beige, and the original is
more of a "lighter orangish" beige.  I'm sure it's just a dye lot variation
issue, and if I kept checking periodically!
 over the next few years, I'd ev
entually hit a dye lot that matches my original interior.  Or I could replace
the entire interior with the available color, but that would be a lot of
unnecessary work and expense for an otherwise like-new interior.  I'm really
keen to do this sooner rather than later, and I'm wondering if anybody knows
any other source for houndstooth pattern seats, or has any other option
(preferably not ridiculously expensive) for getting the right color vinyl in a
seat kit.

Thanks,
Stuart