Re: weighing the corners

To: frank@zk3.dec.com
Subject: Re: weighing the corners
From: Drew Rogge <drew@pixar.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2001 08:41:26 -0700
Frank,

I've seen "lever-like" arms which effectivly increase the capacity
of bathroom scales. The idea is that the tire sits close to one
end of the lever and the bathroom scale sits at the other end.
Something like this:

                                |      |
          __________________    | Tire |
         |_________________ \   |      |
  ________O__              \ \__\______/____
  |  Scale   |              \_______________|
  |__________|                            O

I haven't found a web site with these things listed on them but
I've seen ads for them in mag's like the SCCA's Sports Car. I
would imagine that Grassroots Racing would also list someone who
sells them.

I've also seen a device that is like a pole with an arm on it
which pivots in the verticle direction. One end of the arm goes
inside the wheel's rim at the top and you push down on the other
end enough to just lift the tire off the ground. The tricky part
which I don't remember how it works is that there's a gauge
connected to the arm which gives you an indication of how much
the corner weighs. I guess there has to be somekind of a spring
or torsion bar involved somehow.

If I find a reference to either of these techniques I'll let the
list know.

Drew

--
Drew Rogge