Re: Smokin' !!! (Once again, long!)

To: "Stephane St-Amant" <steph71tr6@crosswinds.net>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>, <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Smokin' !!! (Once again, long!)
From: "Kinderlehrer" <kinderlehrer@mindspring.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2001 10:32:48 -0700
Hey Stef,

I don't remember your original symptoms, but from what you just described it
sounds like you might have a jammed starter.  On my TR3A I can try to turn
the engine with the fan, if I can't turn it over, I know that the starter
jammed in the flywheel.  I can also turn the starter manually with a wrench
at the back end where the armature comes out of the casing with a square
end. This is supposed to be covered with a little cap, but mine is long
gone. Working this back and forth will free up the starter.  I have also
found that the copper bushing tends to work out in spite of all the stay
tite and this will cause the starter to jam, so I carry a couple of extra.
You can also sometimes free up a starter by putting it in fourth and rocking
the car back and forth.

Anyway, just a thought, hope it helps.

Bob