Re: TR6 Steering Column Rubber Knuckle Replacement

To: "Triumphs List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR6 Steering Column Rubber Knuckle Replacement
From: "Keith R. Stewart" <kstewart@wwdc.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2001 22:30:43 -0400
Scott Bloomer wrote:

>The replacement is very straightforward, especially on the upper knuckle.
>There is a wire mesh connector that threads through is and bolts on each
side; think about having a spare on hand before starting because it may
be pretty frayed by now.
These are important because they maintaing the gound for the horn circuit.
>The new knuckle needed to be compressed to fit
>the last two of the four bolts. I reommend a big vice grip or
>channellock, and think about which angle would be easiest and make that
>the last bolt you install.
When I did these on my TR4 and TR4A, I connected together two large standard
hose clamps (not the Triumph SuperClip type) to make one clamp large enough
to surround the rubber unit. The unit can then be easily compressed just the
right amount to fit and after bolting in place, the clamp is easily removed.
Hope this helps.

Cheers
Keith

    _       _
   | \     / |        Keith R. Stewart
   |  \   /  |        75 Camden Road
   |   \_/   |        London, Ontario
   | 62 | TR4|        N5X 2K2
   | 67 |TR4A|        Canada
   | 70 |Spit|        Home:    (519)660-1916
 __|    |Mk3 |__      E-Mail:  kstewart@wwdc.com
 \T \___|___/ H/      (and a 68 Triumph Trophy 250)
  \ R I U M P /