Re: TR6 Steering Column Rubber Knuckle Replacement

To: GGanoung@aol.com
Subject: Re: TR6 Steering Column Rubber Knuckle Replacement
From: Scott Bloomer <flaedersaft@juno.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2001 11:07:16 -0500
Cc: Triumphs@autox.team.net
Gary,

I replaced both upper and lower on my '67 TR4A, which had apparently not
been driven in living memeory (read ten years). The part I got also fit a
Rover and who knows how many other LBCs.

The replacement is very straightforward, especially on the upper knuckle.
There is a wire mesh connector that threads through is and bolts on each
side; think about having a spare on hand before starting because it may
be pretty frayed by now. The new knuckle needed to be compressed to fit
the last two of the four bolts. I reommend a big vice grip or
channellock, and think about which angle would be easiest and make that
the last bolt you install.

The lower bushing was more difficult. I had to pull the radiator and
rubber/metal/rubber hose going from the lower radiator outlet to the top
left front of the head, and pull the fanbelt out of the way (I had a new
high-tech core put in the radiator when it was out).
with that much room it was fairly straightforward.

Scott