Re:TR4 A Oil Pressure & vaccuume line question

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re:TR4 A Oil Pressure & vaccuume line question
From: CarlSereda@aol.com
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2001 16:28:19 EDT
Bruce,
#1) I assume you are running less than 6 month old Castrol 20/50 oil for
starters - your oil pressure numbers sound typical of a motor with quite a
few miles on it - say above 75,000 miles. First thing that seems to lower oil
pressure are worn piston rod big end 'bearing shells' and crank journal
'bearing shells'. These are accessible without pulling motor. You remove oil
pan - pull caps - slip in $100 worth of new bearing shells - sounds easy but
can be a bit rugged for the uninitiated- and that's assuming all crank
journals are clean and smooth - otherwise we're talking about pulling out the
engine.
#2 the vacuum line only operates ABOVE idle when there is vacuum created
inside your intake manifold (butterfly throttle flap opens up) which pulls
distributor diaphram and advances your distributor points a few degrees as
engine speeds up or is put under load. As long as the diaphram doesn't leak
and the tube is sound and its connections at both ends are 'tight' you should
be ok.

Carl Sereda
'63 TR4 since '74 - CT22326L

>>Subject: TR4 A Oil Pressure & vaccuume line question
Hello, I seem to have a problem with my oil pressure.
My shop manual says that while driving at speeds over
30MPH oil pressure should be between 65-75psi I am
running at about 45psi. Is this going to hurt my
engine? and why am I low (is this a gage problem?) at
idle I get about 15psi (which I assume is normal)
Q#2 what does "the" vaccuume line that runs from the
carbs to the distributor do???  (mine doesn't seem to
do anything) my engine idles the same whether this is
attached or not. is the vaccuume from the carb to the
distributor, or the other way around, because I don't
seem to have any suction in either direction. It also
doesn't seem to make a difference if I block the hole.
Is this only at idle?
Thanks
Bruce<<