RE: TR4 A Oil Pressure & vaccuume line question

To: Bruce Robertson <mrmomo.geo@yahoo.com>, triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR4 A Oil Pressure & vaccuume line question
From: Brian Sanborn <sanborn@net1plus.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2001 14:39:43 -0400
>===== Original Message From Bruce Robertson <mrmomo.geo@yahoo.com> =====
>Hello, I seem to have a problem with my oil pressure.
>My shop manual says that while driving at speeds over
>30MPH oil pressure should be between 65-75psi I am
>running at about 45psi. Is this going to hurt my
>engine? and why am I low (is this a gage problem?) at
>idle I get about 15psi (which I assume is normal)

Bruce

After a 1/2 hour of driving... all warmed up... A newly rebuilt engine will be
70 PSI at speed.  The 70psi is because of an oil pressure relief valve in the
oil filter head that limits this number.  A new engine will produce 100psi
easily.  At idle... maybe 50-55psi or more.

Your numbers are probably being caused by worn main and/or rod bearings which
allow the oil to seep out the edges and/or a worn oil pump.  The rod bearings
take the worst beating and are the likely candidate.

The engine will continue to run and making sure you use a high quality 20-50
oil will help.  But "engine rebuild" time is on the horizon.

>Q#2 what does "the" vaccuume line that runs from the
>carbs to the distributor do?

It is supposed to advance the timing a bit when the engine not under load and
producing lots of vacuum.  I don't thing your supposed to see a big difference
at idle.  I have been told by others on the list that the vacuum advance
increases MPG.  One of my low priority to-dos is to figure out whether my
vacuum advance is working.  I don't see any effect either.

Brian Sanborn
62 TR4  CT16260L-O - Groton, MA

My TR4 Restoration Web Site
http://www.net1plus.com/users/sanborn