rocker panel coatings?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: rocker panel coatings?
From: "Rick Barnard" <rstirb@townisp.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2001 22:15:52 -0400
Hello List,
        New England Triumphs' annual "Day of Triumph" at the Lars
Andersen Museum of Transportation in Brookline, Mass. was another
big hit this year.  Over 80 cars on the lawn....
        Two of the trophy winners were a '76 TR6 with 3,300 miles, and
a TR250 with 5,700 miles.  Examining these unrestored cars is an
education.
        On both cars, the rocker panels were coated with a black
undercoat.  I intend to do the same on my car, but I'm concerned that
modern coatings will be to thin and rubbery.  The original coating was
thick, very course and rock hard.
        Any suggestions?  Thanks!

Regards,
        Rick Barnard