Re: Not good...

To: Brian Borgstede <borgstede@umsl.edu>
Subject: Re: Not good...
From: Bill Pugh <anabil@caltel.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2001 09:53:24 -0700
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
>  >Had the same problem on Casper (TR3) turned out to be broken rings,
>>after you get the head off, pour some Carb Cleaner on top of the
>>piston and see how long it takes to drain off  (should stay there if
>>all is well)
>
>I have a breeze comming out of the breather.  Would bad rings let that much
>air passed?

  Yup...that was my problem exactly, first noticed white smoke out the
breather, then did just what you did to confirm.  Of course the only
real, positive check is to pull the head, the carb cleaner trick will
help but in the long run you are going to have to check the piston(s)
I had broken rings on two cylinders and about two inches of land
broken off of one piston, fortunately the rings held it in place and
I caught the problem before it became catastrophic.
--
Bill Pugh
1957 TR-3