Re: Not good...

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Not good...
From: Brian Borgstede <borgstede@umsl.edu>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2001 11:00:58 -0600
>> 135 135 25 135 Dry
>> 160 160 25 160 Wet
>>
>> MKII engine.  Unknown miles.
>> Thought I'd share the misery.
>>
>> No wonder it misses out and feels like it's only running on 3 cylinders
>> today.  Think maybe I'll get lucky and find only misadjusted valves on
>> three?  :(

I just went down this road for the second time this weekend.   I made a
fitting from an old spark plug
and some brass fittings to inject compressed air into the spark plug hole
at TDC.  Next, find out where
the air is going.  The first time, I had air comming out the exhaust.  The
valves were closed (wiggled the
rockers) so I knew I had a bad exhaust valve.  This last time I had a
breeze comming out the engine breather.
I bet it's a hole in #6 bucket.  The head comes off this week.

I would suggest that you check the valve lash.  If that isn't the problem,
you can buy a fitting from your local
autoparts store for changing valve springs.  It's a fitting that screws
into the spark plug hole and you can inject
compressed air.  You can also make one out of an old spark plug, some
fittings, and some JB Weld.  The idea is
to find where the air goes; bubbles in the coolent? out the tail pipe? a
carb? breather? all tell a story.