Re: TR oil leaks, back to newbie message

Subject: Re: TR oil leaks, back to newbie message
From: Randall <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2001 23:49:20 -0700
Cc: Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
E Klos wrote:

> In terms of maintenance, I don't mind fiddling or tinkering with things on a
> regular basis, as long as the car remains driveable.  I usually end up
> fiddling with something all the time anyway, its enjoyable for me.  But it
> really bugs me when I am forced into major repairs any more than twice a
> year.

Eric :

You sound like the ideal Triumph owner to me.  I drive my TR3A to work
everyday, and it always gets me there.  There have been a few roadside
incidents (most recently one of the float bowls disassembled itself and
had to be temporarily held together with baling wire), but only once in
the 17 years I've owned it have I had to get a tow.

Even that was arguably my own stupidity, I had changed rod and main
bearings, and reused the lock tabs.  I knew there was a hole in the oil
pump pickup screen, but didn't have the money for a new one and put it
back together complete with hole.  Well, sure enough, one of the tabs
broke off, found it's way into the oil pump, causing it to lock up and
shear off the pump drive shaft.  Even though I was probably doing 80
(Glendale freeway north of Griffith Park, for those who know the LA
area) when I lost all oil pressure, there was no permanent damage done
beyond the oil pump shaft.  I'm still using the same crank and oil pump
today.

BTW, I don't know about the later cars, but on a TR3 you can do about
75% of an engine rebuild without ever taking the engine out of the car,
or even taking the front apron off.  Because of the wet liner design, a
rebore (new liner kit) can be done in a weekend !

Randall
59 TR3A daily driver
65 Sports 6 project - now running on all 6, I think <g>