Re: my engine story from last night

Subject: Re: my engine story from last night
From: Randall <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2001 23:11:58 -0700
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Bruce Robertson wrote:
> <snip>
>  so does that mean 1hr 9 minutes to go 100
> Km, meaning that my speedo is reading faster than I am
> acutally going? meaning my tires are slightly
> undersized?

Frank has, I trust, already answered your question about speedo
calibration.

I just wanted to point out that the speedometer itself is typically
quite inaccurate on these old cars (as is the tachometer).  So, if
you're wanting to double check your tire size, the odometer is a much
more accurate way to do it.  The odo is driven by gears (hence it's
calibration does not drift), while the speedo reading is determined by
balancing a magnetic field against a spring.  Since the spring, the
magnetic field, and the spacing between the two can all vary with age,
so does the speedo reading at any particular speed.

Randall
59 TR3A daily driver - tach reads mostly high, odo reads 5% low (due to
both rear axle ratio mismatch and undersize tires), speedo reads
whatever it feels like today ...