Re: TR oil leaks, back to newbie message

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR oil leaks, back to newbie message
From: "E Klos" <chevynova@peoplepc.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2001 21:11:21 -0400
> Newbie Eric has raised a question as regards TR oil leakage.  I should
just
> like to point out that rather than being problematic (as was implied in
his

This has got to be a joke, right?, LOL :)  I suppose I should further define
what I consider to be massive in terms of leakage or maintenance.  If I have
to add any type of fluid or lube due to leakage more than once every couple
of weeks, thats excessive to me.  A few drops on the driveway isn't an issue
to me, altho it does bring back some memories of my 1986 Plymouth Turismo.
I had a gearbox leak, and rather than always keeping an eye on the level, I
determined when oil needed to be added when the gearbox started to make
funny noises, which usually happened to be about every two weeks.  I later
learned those noises were bearings being destroyed, I never claimed to be
wise in my younger years :P, and I learned this lesson the hard way 200
miles away from home when the bearings collapsed and destroyed the gearbox.
In terms of maintenance, I don't mind fiddling or tinkering with things on a
regular basis, as long as the car remains driveable.  I usually end up
fiddling with something all the time anyway, its enjoyable for me.  But it
really bugs me when I am forced into major repairs any more than twice a
year.  Chances are this car will be my main and only form of transportation
at least until winter.  With my Scout, it seemed like I was doing brakes and
Ujoints on a monthly basis, and many times I was doing joints on the side of
the road or trail.  No biggie, we're talking about a 1 hour job max.  But I
don't have easy access to the resources to yank an engine or tranny at a
moments notice.  I want something that I can take a good running car, and
not worry about a 500 mile round trip on the weekend to go visit friends up
north, not spending the entire time worrying about a failure that could
leave me stranded somewhere, something that was common with my Renault.  I
understand that any car 20+ years old will have problems, need constant
attention, and won't be anything like a brand new car.  But then, if I
wanted a brand new car, I would buy one.  I have no problem doing any work
on the car, I'm too anal to let anyone else touch my cars, and have always
done my own work on my cars since day one of driving, and on my bikes and
snowmobiles for many years prior.  I've got plenty of experience with
different types of cars, my list includes 86 Renault Alliance, 79
International Harvester Scout 2, 86 Plymouth Turismo, 86 Dodge Charger, 91
GMC Sonoma, 85 Jeep Cherokee, 77 Chevy Nova, and my 89 Saab 900, plus plenty
more on friends and familys cars.  I apologize for the length of this write,
but I wanted to make sure I was clear and complete.

Eric Klos   Metro Detroit area, Michigan
1989 Saab 900-usually daily driver, currently in storage with bad trans