RE: my engine story from last night

To: "triumphs (E-mail)" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: my engine story from last night
From: "Biedermann, Frank (SSABSA)" <frank@ssabsa.sa.gov.au>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2001 13:53:09 +0930
<- snip ->

> A side note, on the way home today, I did manage to
> clock 2 km at 3K rpm was 1:23 not being a whiz in
> math, I now can't quite figure out what to do. 1:23
> for 2K is
> 41.5 sec/km x 100 Km = 4150 seconds /60/60 = roughly
> 1.15 hours - so does that mean 1hr  minutes to go 100
> Km, meaning that my speedo is reading faster than I am
> acutally going? meaning my tires are slightly
> oversized? or do I have to take 41.5 and divide by the
> octane rating, multiply by the treadwear and add the
> internal resistance of the generator?

<- snippety, snip ->

Er, no. Look at the units you're working with... Sorry, tutoring at
Uni seems to have damaged my brain... :-)

You did 2km in 83 seconds, which equates to 2/(83/3600) = 87 km/h
or thereabouts... (there are 3600 seconds in an hour). I'm not sure
if this applies to a TR4, but I seem to remember that you're supposed
to get around 20 mph for every 1000 rpm in non-overdrive (underdrive?).
Am I imagining this bit? Anyway, if this is correct you have been
doing 60 mph = 96 km/h... What did your speedo read?

Hope this helps...

Frank Biedermann
69 TR6 PI
Adelaide