my engine story from last night

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: my engine story from last night
From: Bruce Robertson <mrmomo.geo@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2001 21:09:09 -0700 (PDT)
Ok, last night was my first night-time drive in the TR
('66 4A IRS), I was on the 401 (for those of you out
of ontario the 401 is a divided highway with a
speedlimit of 100km/h which means most people do 130)
doing 65Mph ish -kinda hard to tell the way the speedo
bounces up and down, anyway just over 3K Rpm driving
along just fine. I decided to try to see how accurate
my speedo/Odo was, so I slowed to 60 to time betweeen
the mile markers. Well, I didn't get that far. I
slowed a little too much, so pressed the gas agian to
get back up to 60. Put put kaput felt like I was
running on 1 cyl~! Crap NOW I am thinking that it
would be a good idea to carry a tool kit and a
flashlight! needless to say, I scramble in the dark
interior to try to figure out if I even have 4-way
flashers - I guess not, I never found them so here I
am puttering along at about 45MPH with people flashing
highs at me from behind, I pull over onto the shoulder
with a shuddering engine. Oil pressure was fine, temp
was fine, everything seemed fine and it idles fine..
Hmm, trying to figure out what to do, and what the
problem is, I'm not quite sure if I remembered to
tighten the nuts when I adjusted the carbs that
mornging... and just how the hell I am going to do
that in the dark with no tools at the side of the
fastest road in ontario. Um wait a minute, it seems to
be runing fine now?  Lets try this again.  Pulled back
out and got up to about 2700 Rpm and boom same deal
figured it must be the carbs, not both opening or
something like that, found that if I accelerated
slowly, I was ok to about 2700 rpm then it would
become very rough.  Ok, long story shorter, limped all
the way home went to bed, got up this morning and
popped the bonnet.  Air filter on rear carb had lost
nut, bolt backed out far enough for it to swing down
over the carb intake hole (excuse my non techincal
terms) front bolt was loose, so at idle, it hung
loose, but at higher Rpm the suction pulled it flush
with the intake and totally blocked it off - i.e.
running on 2 cyl.

Went to Canadain Tire this-afternoon and bought a tool
kit, came home and put a flashilight in the car. ready
for my next expedition now.

A side note, on the way home today, I did manage to
clock 2 km at 3K rpm was 1:23 not being a whiz in
math, I now can't quite figure out what to do. 1:23
for 2K is
41.5 sec/km x 100 Km = 4150 seconds /60/60 = roughly
1.15 hours - so does that mean 1hr  minutes to go 100
Km, meaning that my speedo is reading faster than I am
acutally going? meaning my tires are slightly
oversized? or do I have to take 41.5 and divide by the
octane rating, multiply by the treadwear and add the
internal resistance of the generator?

=====
Bruce Robertson "MrMomo"
1991 Custom F350 Dually flatbed
1990 Rio Red Honda CRX DX
1966 B.R.Green Triumph TR4A
"If more is better, too much is never enough"-ec