Kudos to Pumford Auto Engineers and how to deal with UK Customs

To: 6pack@autox.team.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Kudos to Pumford Auto Engineers and how to deal with UK Customs
From: dstauffa@csc.com
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2001 09:32:41 -0700 |July 24, 2000) at 07/11/2001 12:34:30 PM
Listers,

I want to take this opportunity to express my appreciation and gratitude to
Pumford Auto Engineers in Wirral, UK.

A bit of history.  I had sent my six injectors over to PAE  for
reconditioning.  Mike Pumford e-mailed me that the package arrived safely
but there was a problem with UK Customs.  It seems yours truly did not
label the package correctly.  Customs thought I was selling injectors to
PAE and slapped on an 80 Pound surcharge!!  I should have described the
contents as "used parts for renovation".  Mike was forced to pay the
surcharge in order to take the package and secure it from being lost
somewhere in the UK Postal system.  I made a quick call to the UK Customs
people who were actually quite helpful once I explained the situation.
They outlined the bureaucratic steps that Mike would have to go through to
get reimbursed for the surcharge.   I got my reconditioned injectors back
this week and it appears Mike was properly reimbursed.

Lesson learned:  Label parts being shipped to the UK as "for renovation".

Why this post?  Too often we only hear about vendors who cause some degree
of aggravation.  And that's OK.  But today I would just like to let
everyone know that Mike went through a lot of aggravation to help service
me and his extra effort - at no extra charge - should not go
unacknowledged.

David Stauffacher
Ramona, Ca
1970 TR6 PI   CP51649