Re: ballast resister voltage drop - electrical guru needed

Subject: Re: ballast resister voltage drop - electrical guru needed
From: Randall <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2001 22:26:03 -0700
Cc: triumph list <triumphs@autox.team.net>
George Richardson wrote:

> I know what the manual says, but it's wrong.

Right.  They've only been making these things for 20 years, and their
manual still has such an obvious mistake in it.

I'd like to suggest that, in the case of the Crane XR700, it actually
makes no difference at all.  It works similar to points, in that it
fires the coil by shorting the yellow wire to ground to build a magnetic
field, then interrupting it to cause a spark.  The power from the red
wire is only used to power the LED in the pickup, and the amplifier for
the signal from the LED.  3 volts is probably enough, so whether it's 6
volts or 12 volts just doesn't matter.

Of course, for my XR3000, it does make a difference, which is why the
diagram shows the ballast resistor shorted out ...

Randall