Re: Stripped threads in trailing arms

To: John Middlesworth <top_down@worldnet.att.net>
Subject: Re: Stripped threads in trailing arms
From: Randall <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2001 21:51:23 -0700
Cc: Triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
John :

That "thread repair compound" is usually specified to be used only for
"non-critical" fasteners.  My vote would definitely be for the
Heli-coils (or similar product, Heli-coil is a brand name).  They are
actually stronger than the original threads.

I've never tried it, but it looks like it should be fairly easy to
install Helicoils with the arm still on the car.  Most likely, you won't
need the odd-sized drill, you can go directly to using the special tap.
A drop or two of Loctite on the insert is a good idea, then wait for it
to set up before breaking off the tang and inserting the stud.  ISTR
those are blind holes, you'll need some needle-nose or chain-nose pliers
to break off the tang.

Randall