Re: Stripped threads in trailing arms

To: "John Middlesworth" <top_down@worldnet.att.net>, "Triumphs" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Stripped threads in trailing arms
From: "Kai M. Radicke" <kmr@pil.net>
Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2001 22:44:51 -0400
> My TR4A has some stripped threads where the hub attachment studs enter
> the trailing arms.  I felt okay when it was only one stud, but now that
the
> number is up to 3, I figured I better do something.  I have on hand a
thread
> repair kit that's some sort of compound that gets squirted into the stud
hole.
> I've never used this product before, or helicoils for that matter.  What's
the best
> route?  And can the operation be done without removing the trailing arm
from
> the car?
>
> John Paul Middlesworth

John, as Irv noted use Heli-Coils.  Your local NAPA will have a Helicoil
kit, usually comes with 10 inserts.  It requires you to drill out the hole
to a slightly larger diameter, and re-tap it for the heli-coil using the
supplied tap.  I did just this last summer when I found four of the six
studs on my left hand trailing arm to be pulling out or loose.  I
heli-coiled all six for good measure, and accomplished the task in about an
hour.  To date they have held up well, and haven't had a problem with loose
studs or stripped threads.

Use plenty of cutting lubricant (WD40 works fine) while using the tap, and
some pipe cleaners to get the excess metal bits out of the hole followed by
another large dose of WD40 to lubricate the hole and get the final metal
bits out (both after drilling and tapping).

Kai