Re: 12v supply

To: rbtr3a@home.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 12v supply
From: DANMAS@aol.com
Date: Sun, 8 Jul 2001 21:17:32 EDT
In a message dated 7/7/2001 12:50:33 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
rbtr3a@home.com writes:

> Hi, I'm trying to hook up a radio in my tr3a I have a negative ground
> system. Can I use the 12 volt terminal that is not being used on the OD
> relay. This terminal has a constant voltage on it. Do you see any possible
> problems or potential voltage drops when the OD is engaged?
> thanks

Ronnie,

What kind of radio are you using?  I'm assuming it is one of the "digital"
types, which have station preset memory?  If so, you need two sources of
power - one that is hot all the time (for the station preset memory) and the
main power lead that is powered only when the key is on.

If you wish, you can connect the "memory" wire to the brown/white wire on the
OD solenoid, and the main power lead to the white wire on the OD solenoid. Be
sure to fuse both of the radio leads, as the OD wires are not fused on a
TR3A.

If your wiring is in good shape, you should have no problem with the memory
dropping out when the OD is energized. If you do have a problem, you need to
make sure all of your wiring connections are clean, and your wires are in
good condition.

Dan Masters
Alcoa, Tennessee

Triumph TR 250 - TR6 Electrical Maintenance Handbook:
     http://members.aol.com/danmas6/
Stuffing a V8 into a small British sports car:
     http://members.aol.com/danmas/
British V8 Newsletter:
     http://members.aol.com/danmas4/mgv8.htm